DESCRIPTION OF THE COMPANY
TISSIUM is a privately-owned medical technology company founded in 2013 and developing biomorphic programmable polymers for atraumatic tissue repair and reconstruction. We are headquartered in Paris, with a production facility in Roncq (near Lille) and an office in Boston.
Currently, we have a pipeline of products across three verticals, including peripheral nerve repair, hernia repair, and cardiovascular sealing.
TISSIUM's technology is the result of research and intellectual property from the laboratories of Professor Robert Langer (MIT) and Professor Jeffrey M. Karp (Brigham and Women's Hospital) developed by the company’s co-founder and Chief Innovation Officer Maria Pereira.
Christophe Bancel, co-founder, and CEO of TISSIUM, has led the charge since inception, directing the company as it has conducted R&D, various clinical trials, and fundraising efforts resulting in €170 million in funding for the company.
At TISSIUM, we are driven by the conviction of our ability to innovate, our resilience and ability to work collaboratively to develop solutions that benefit patients' lives. Joining TISSIUM means participating in a human adventure, in a stimulating and fast-growing environment, while helping to build a future leader in its field.
We are actively looking to recruit a Senior Design Engineer (Medical Devices) to be part of TISSIUM’s Innovation Hub team. This person will Lead the ideation and design of devices, in particular surgical instrumentation to be used in conjunction with TISSIUM polymer implants in a variety of clinical scenarios, ensuring that final product design meet the needs (performance, safety, usability) of our customers and target markets.
To achieve this will require, leading the collation of needs directly from Users and their translation into clear and unambiguous project inputs. With a ‘hands-on’ approach, translates collated inputs into ideas, concepts, and prototypes, suitable for establishing patient benefit and ease of use. Leads the identification and management of risks, resulting in robust technical solutions for the application of TISSIUM products, ready for industrialization. Works collaboratively across TISSIUM project teams, as well as with external advisors, to drive on time delivery from ideation through to proof of concept with continued technical oversight through to production release.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Subject matter expert considered the 'go to' person for Mechanical Engineering technical matters.
- Advanced knowledge of User and Device requirements generation, the appropriate procedures and their relationship to concept/solution development.
- Hands-on approach to collecting and understanding User inputs and translating them into ideas, concepts and prototypes, to determine solution/project viability.
- Makes judgement over the overall effectiveness of the risk management process in relation to project, patient, user risks. Ensures technical and project risks are highlighted and communicated at the appropriate level for awareness and is proactive implementing appropriate action plans to mitigate those risks.
- Supports the generation of and constructively challenges Proof of Concepts (PoC) plans, work packages, and schedules across project teams, ensuring the development of lean and efficient PoC plans, project schedules, managing delivery of the Minimum Viable Products or Solutions across projects.
- Constructively reviews and critiques own & others output to ensure robust, concise and clear CAD models, drawings, reports and other documents are produced and communicated to the relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Adheres to all regulatory & quality requirements in place at TISSIUM by following the TISSIUM Quality Management System procedures and practices.
- Works in close collaboration with the TISSIUM IP team to ensure IP clear design solutions and the use of / interaction with the IP process. Fosters the development of new ideas and creativity within the Innovation & Concept development teams.
- Effectively interfaces with Innovation, Development, Marketing and Sub-Contractor teams, as well as Clinical Advisors, to facilitate the success of designs, prototypes and test programs.
- Direct line management responsibility for Engineers, Technicians, and Interns.
This job will report to the Director, Innovation & Concept Development.
YOU WILL LOVE THIS JOB IF
- You are “Hands-on” and have a “Can-do” attitude, leading by example, driving project progress, and accommodating of changes in tasks and priorities.
- You are a team player, knowing when to support and encourage others to deal with uncertainty, difficulty, or change. Leads by example, sets SMART objectives, and ensures they are understood, and delivered by team members.
- You can problem solve in a structured and have a logical manner, generating and presenting options for the mitigation of issues / risks.
- You openly admit and accept your own and others’ mistakes. Fostering a working environment of lessons learned, inspiring confidence in team members to be open and honest about mistakes and suggest future improvements.
- You can manage others with a high level of integrity, confidentiality, ethics, and discretion, creating a culture of success - based on delivered results, values, behaviors, and compliance to standards.
- You are able employees to improve their competence and fully supports in their technical and career development.
- You are passionate about improving peoples’ and patients’ lives.
- Engineering master’s degree or equivalent
- Minimum 7 years’ experience of completing multiple complex development projects from concept through to industrialization / release to production in the role of Technical & or independent authority. Experience preferred in the Medical Industry.
- Advanced knowledge of User and Device requirements generation, the appropriate procedures and their relationship to device development.
- In depth Knowledge of risk management standards such as ISO14971 and their application to the TISSIUM product/project ranges.
- Excellent English communication skills (written and verbal).
- Able to communicate and influence effectively in critical internal and external environments. Promoting partnerships and corporate working, across and outside of TISSIUM.
WHY JOIN US
- An opportunity to join an ambitious start-up addressing one of the most persistent medical challenges since the inception of surgical procedures.
- Fast-moving environment - you will never stop learning and growing.
- International environment - the team is composed of more than 13 different nationalities. Diversity is a strength at Tissium.
- Work on-site in Paris, Roncq or Remote-flexible.
- Competitive salary package & benefits.
- Last but not least, strong company culture with transparency as one of our values - information is shared regular with the team!
- The journey starts with an interview with Talent Acquisition Manager (30 mins)
- Then a face-to-face (virtual) meeting with the Manager of the department you are applying to join (1 hour)
- This will then be followed by a case study or business case to validate your practical job-related skills ( 1hour)
- For the very final round, you will meet other teams in Tissium
- You will be asked to provide us with professional references including contact details.
Intrigued? We’d love to hear from you! Apply today — we’re standing by for your resume!
👉 We believe that, in order to create a company for everyone, we must also guarantee that it is built by a diverse team. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people from all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. We are very process-light, putting human interactions above and making sure that everybody is heard.